Construction Explained _ Urban Stage
A scaled-down version of the future roof terrace on the forecourt of ZK/U Berlin.
2021 - 2023
ZK/U Berlin is going through a phase of transformation.
As part of energy-saving measures, an extensive expansion of the Centre for Art and Urbanism (ZK/U) is taking place. The newly created location will provide space for artistic experiments, neighborhood projects and events.
The eye-catcher and laboratory centerpiece of the ZK/U future vision is an 'Urban Stage' visible from afar on the new roof terrace.
To open the process of transformation to future users and invite opportunity for discussion, the ZK/U is installing a scaled-down version of the roof terrace on the yard in front of the building - the 'Construction Explained'.
This infrastructure, made of containers and scaffolding and equipped with event technology, is the temporary spatial center for co-produced test formats, workshops, and projects. It fills the process of transformation with life. Unlike a building sign, which uses idealized photo montages to hide the sometimes-difficult reality, the 'BauSchilderung' attempts to draw an open-ended picture of the future based on lived projects and events.
What can be expected:
- ZK/U formats - rethought and newly developed
- Climate Art Lab: creative and transdisciplinary research into a climate-resilient future for the Urban Garden Moabit
- MoaBees: beehives will be at home on the top floor
- Artistic actions by ZK/U residents
- Encounter formats with the Moabit neighborhood
- Meeting space of other Urbane Praxis Campuses
Design and Production: refunc.nl